The American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma seeks a Campaign Manager for a three year strategic statewide lobbying and public education campaign to secure new policies, practices, and legislation to substantially reduce Oklahoma’s prison and jail populations and replace the excessive use of incarceration with alternatives that keep communities safe, treat people fairly, and use fiscal resources wisely — and to inform and engage Oklahomans about the need for these policy changes.
Candidates should have at least five (5) years of campaign management, public policy or lobbying experience. Past responsibilities should include experience managing consultants and other lobbyists, coordinating media strategy, coalition building and maintenance, working with vendors of campaign services (phone/mail, polling, etc.) and field organizing. The ideal candidate will have had experience running a strategic campaign and will possess significant skills in coordinating and facilitating decision making for large, diverse coalitions. Experience running campaigns in Oklahoma, knowledge of key political and civic leaders, and experience garnering the support of both Republicans and Democrats are strongly preferred. More specific qualifications are listed below.
The Campaign Manager of the Campaign for Criminal Justice Reform is a full-time staff position dedicated to:
- helping to develop a multiyear, statewide public education and lobbying campaign aimed at reducing Oklahoma’s state prison and local jail populations;
- managing the execution of the campaign plan;
- monitoring implementation of policies and laws adopted as a result of campaign efforts
- keeping key stakeholders engaged in the implementation process
- assessing and reporting campaign outcomes in reducing Oklahoma’s incarceration numbers
- The Campaign Manager will collaborate with other members of ACLU of Oklahoma’s Legal, Philanthropy, and Communications staff and national staff working on ACLU’s nationwide campaign to reduce U.S. incarceration rates. The Campaign Manager will report to the ACLU of Oklahoma’s Executive Director.
- Oversee and coordinate the statewide lobbying and education campaign in collaboration with ACLU of Oklahoma and ACLU senior staff and consultants, including policy development and drafting, communications and media, coalition building and maintenance, leveraging relationships with political and civic leaders, grassroots organizing and field work, and internal campaign administration.
- Draft and execute campaign plan with oversight from the ACLU of Oklahoma Executive Director, Director of External Affairs and ACLU National staff.
- Along with the ACLU of Oklahoma Executive Director, identify campaign staffing needs and hire and supervise staff.
- Manage ACLU of Oklahoma staff assigned to campaign.
- Coordinate with consultants and local coalition partners as a contact for local, regional, statewide and national media outlets seeking information regarding the campaign.
- Identify and enlist spokespeople in influential categories such as law enforcement, crime survivors, formerly incarcerated people, business, religious leaders, educators, political donors, etc.
- Lobby local policymakers and state legislators when appropriate.
- Coordinate and facilitate campaign leadership and subcommittee meetings and/or calls as needed,and provide regular, comprehensive updates on campaign activities.
- Oversee contracts with vendors, including, but not limited to, phone vendors, polling firms, public relation consultants, etc.
- At least five years of previous experience as set forth above. The ideal candidate will have had experience running an issue specific lobbying campaign, and will possess significant skills in coordinating and facilitating decision making for large, diverse coalitions.
- Experience lobbying in Oklahoma and knowledge of key political and civic leaders is strongly preferred, as is experience garnering the support of both Republicans
- Comprehensive understanding of criminal justice reform advocacy and messaging, or an ability to quickly become conversant with the latest incarceration research, messaging, and tactics used to educate the public and move policy makers;
- Previous experience working with local, regional, state and national media outlets, including print, radio, television, new media, blogging community;
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and ability to facilitate meetings with diverse participation.
- Previous grassroots organizing experience, including experience with data usage and management.
- Advanced degree in relevant field or law strongly preferred.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Excellent benefits including: paid vacation and sick leave, health and dental insurance, life and disability coverage, 401(k).
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications should include a cover letter and resume, and at least three professional references, including contact information for each. Submit applications via email at Applications@acluok.org. Please include the words “Campaign Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls pease. Thank you in advance for combining email attachments into one document.
Beginning immediately, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.