Temporary Position through the end of the 2018 election cycle, with the potential to extend this position for the length of the campaign, based on performance/ability to produce work in house.
DEPARTMENT: Campaign for Smart Justice
POSITION(S) AVAILABLE: Oklahoma Campaign for Smart Justice Communications Coordinator; Position located in Oklahoma
REPORTS TO: ACLU of OK Smart Justice Campaign Manager
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The ACLU of Oklahoma seeks a dynamic, innovative, and passionate individual to serve as a full-time Communications Director with their Campaign for Smart Justice. The person in this newly-created position will have responsibility for creating and implementing a statewide communications plan as a part of the campaign for smart justice.
The Communications Coordinator will report to the ACLU of OK Smart Justice Campaign Manager and serve as primary point person for print and broadcast media relations on behalf of the ACLU of OK Smart Justice Campaign and its staff, in addition to helping manage and coordinate public education, outreach, and other functions within the scope of campaign Communications. While primarily focused on media relations, the Communications Coordinator will also work collaboratively to develop new content for advocacy initiatives in the field, online, and by mail supporting the organization’s communications and marketing efforts. The position is based in Oklahoma City and will require regular travel.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In collaboration with the Campaign Manager, develop and execute communications strategies and tactics to advance legislative, advocacy, and campaign initiatives for the OK Campaign for Smart Justice.
- Provide support for activist engagement tied to campaigns, advocacy, legislative activities, and building organizational capacity
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and coalition partners across OK staying well informed of organizational priorities
- Create content for ACLU supporters that is informative, timely and relevant.
- Work with Campaign Manager to draft and disseminate talking points related to criminal justice reform for advocacy, voter contact, grassroots lobbying, media events, trainings, meetings, and broader education.
- Monitor local, state, and national news developments and prepare editorials on behalf of the ACLU of OK Campaign for Smart Justice.
- Create digital content and print materials that feature eye-catching graphics and shareable images.
- Assist with preparing clients, litigators, state policy advocates, and other spokespeople for media appearances.
- Build and sustain constructive working relationships with key individuals – reporters, producers, editors, editorial boards – in print, broadcast, and digital media outlets throughout Oklahoma to increase opportunities for media coverage of the ACLU of Oklahoma’s Smart Justice Campaign.
- Write, edit, and produce compelling press releases.
- Expand and organize the ACLU of Oklahoma’s media list; segment by interest, region, etc. Tracks earned media and maintain electronic clipping file.
- Assist with outreach opportunities and events; coordinate logistics and volunteer assistance, staff events, and follow-up.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Develop content for the web and social media that can elevate the Campaign for Smart Justice’s work and better communicate stories beyond print and broadcast. Content may include copy for the web, emails, blogs, video, and an e-newsletter.
- Assist with e-advocacy via email and social media. Provides guidance and assistance with developing websites and social media pages for the campaign.
- Assist with organizing public events and public meetings, as needed.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Individuals who have been directly impacted by the criminal justice system strongly encouraged to apply.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU and the Campaign for Smart Justice.
- Minimum of two cycles of communications experience, preferably in the campaign or nonprofit advocacy environment.
- Excellent verbal, writing and interpersonal communications skills; ability to communicate complex issues persuasively and professionally to varied audiences including media, policymakers, members and activists.
- Ability and willingness to produce copy under tight deadlines, synthesizing complex information from a variety of sources, including attorneys, ACLU of Oklahoma personnel and volunteers, policy makers, lobbyists and public-relations professionals, and other colleagues and turn it into clear, dynamic copy that is understandable and appealing to a specific audience.
- Proven experience writing op-eds, blog posts, and social media posts.
- Must possess strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- The ability to take initiative and see tasks through to completion.
- Must demonstrate commitment to high quality standards for all communication materials.
- Ability to quickly produce clear, persuasive, well-organized and fact-checked materials, as needed.
- Confident oral communication skills with the ability to present and explain concepts clearly and succinctly.
- Computer proficiency, including website management—familiarity with website maintenance and ability to create and upload web content.
- Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, or other image editing software.
- Availability and willingness to attend events as needed.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team across Oklahoma.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines while demonstrating grace under pressure.
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, and willing to learn.
- Strong task and time management skills.
- Attention to measurable goals and results.
- Ability to travel around the state as necessary and participate in evening and weekend events.
- This position is based in Oklahoma City; candidates must either reside in the Oklahoma or be willing to relocate.
- Individuals with knowledge of current political alignments and media landscape specifically in Oklahoma and familiarity with the advocacy and community organizing landscape of around the state strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation for this full-time position is negotiable based on experience and within the parameters of the ACLU of Oklahoma compensation scale. Benefits include medical and disability insurance (fully paid by employer), a 401(k) program, and generous vacation, holiday and sick leave.
Send a cover letter (with salary requirements), resume, writing sample, relevant portfolio materials (e.g., links to videos, publications, or social-media work), and a list of three references to:
Smart Justice Campaign Manager, ACLU of Oklahoma
Please include “Communications Coordinator Application” in the subject line. Applications accepted until positions are filled. No in-person applications or phone calls, please. All applications will be treated confidentially.
The ACLU of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Oklahoma encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to arrest or conviction, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.