ACLU of Oklahoma Seeks Staff Attorney
The American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma Foundation (ACLU-OK) seeks applicants for a full-time Staff Attorney to work in our office in Oklahoma City. The ACLU of Oklahoma Foundation, an affiliate of the national American Civil Liberties Union, is a private, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization founded in 1964 with the mission of preserving and expanding the guarantees of individual liberty found in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
The Staff Attorney will work on a wide range of constitutional issues to bring about systemic change through impact-driven litigation and legal advocacy. Reporting directly to ACLU-OK’s Legal Director, the Staff Attorney will maintain an active and vibrant litigation docket following the priorities established by the ACLU-OK Board of Directors through its strategic plan. The Staff Attorney will be part of a team reviewing numerous complaints and other sources to find, prepare, and litigate cases of statewide significance that affect civil liberties; as well as working with cooperating attorneys and allied organizations.
The Staff Attorney will share responsibility with the rest of the legal team for a wide variety of tasks, including:
- Reviewing requests for legal assistance and ensuring that intake is properly evaluated and processed;
- Researching civil liberties issues that arise, and preparing legal memoranda, demand letters, advocacy letters, complaints, motions, responses, and briefs;
- Participating directly in litigation in active cases, either as co-counsel, or when appropriate, as lead counsel or sole counsel;
- Handling discovery matters and depositions, including preparing discovery instruments, analyzing documents, and taking and defending depositions;
- Monitoring litigation being handled by cooperating attorneys and providing assistance as needed;
- Supervising the assistance of volunteers and law students;
- Developing and maintaining working relationships with the legal staff at the national ACLU, its projects, and other affiliates and collaborating on litigation and investigations that arise in Oklahoma;
- Preparing necessary reports or communications for the public, the membership, the Board or staff of ACLU-OK;
- Participating in national ACLU legal conferences and maintaining the requisite CLE requirements (at the ACLU-OK’s expense);
- Speaking at public forums, meetings and events on various civil liberties topics;
- Working with governmental attorneys to resolve constitutional violations informally, as appropriate;
- Communicating effectively with print and visual media concerning litigation as well as important constitutional issues; and
- Performing other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director or Legal Director.
- J.D. with at least two years of litigation experience, with a preferred emphasis in civil rights or constitutional law (extraordinary candidates with less experience may be considered);
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of constitutional law and civil liberties issues; demonstrated commitment to the preservation and vigorous enforcement of the civil liberties of all Oklahomans;
- Familiarity with the working and operation of state and local government;
- Exceptional research, writing and analytical skills;
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate complex legal issues both in the courtroom and to the public;
- Strong self-motivation and demonstrated capacity to handle numerous deadlines and work in a stressful environment that requires coordination with a legal team to manage litigation in a timely and professional manner;
- Excellent organizational and case management skills; including appellate advocacy;
- Experience working with diverse communities, clients and coalition partners, and willingness to handle controversial cases and clients;
- Membership in good standing with the Oklahoma Bar Association, or eligibility to be admitted through reciprocity or on motion.
- Admission or immediate eligibility for admission to the bars of Oklahoma’s three federal district courts and to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Willingness to work evening and weekend meetings and events as needed and respond to urgent issues outside normal business hours;
- Some travel required, both in-state and out-of-state;
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred but not required.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, in the approximate range of $50,000-$60,000 per year;
- Excellent benefits including: paid vacation and sick leave, health and dental insurance, life and disability coverage, and 401(k).
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications should include a cover letter, resume, one or two writing samples, at least one of which should be a legal writing sample (no more than 15 pages), and three to five references, including contact information for each. For applicants who received their J.D. within the last two years, please provide your law school transcript as well.
Submit applications via email to Applications@acluok.org. Please include the words “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Thank you in advance for combining email attachments into one document.
Beginning immediately, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.